The Call Serve
God calls us into Service or Ministry.
Message Alan Duprey: God has called me into a ministry about Heaven. He called me to write a book about Heaven, read books, search the scriptures, create a bible studies, power points, videos, radio advertising, book signings, website development, contacting and meeting with film companies.
I feel this ministry is just starting and I have no idea where it will go. I just know I am called to move forward. This is not easy, it takes time to study the subject about Heaven, it is hard to wait upon the Lord and I am still being taught and directed on a regular bases. I am not done and may take years to accomplish or if it is ever finished and I don’t know where this ministry will take me.
As you go through the study it is really the steps I ended up talking and are still taking to follow God Calling.
Many times throughout our lives God may call us into one ministry or another.
Group Question: Has God ever called you into service or a ministry and what was it?
Group Question: Do you ever feel God made a mistake in choosing you for that particular ministry?
Many of these ministries are set in eternity past. Consider Ephesians 2:10, “for we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
Group Question: What does this verse say about Gods call for us to serve?
When God calls us to service their seems to be steps we take, a process that we follow.
Step 1: Serving can be unexpected and challenging.
- Scripture: Read Acts 8:26-40
- Group Questions: How was this call to Philip unexpected and challenging?
Step 2: Our first responses are usually faithfulness, flight or fight.
- Faithfulness: Read Isaiah 6:1-8
- Group Question: Has this ever happened to you where God put a fire in your heart to serve in a particular ministry?
- Flight: Read Jonah 1:1-3
- Group Question: Can you relate to Jonah and have you ever run away from what God called you to do?
- Fight: Read Exodus 4:1-13
- Group Question: Are you surprised about Moses response can you see yourself responding the same way?
- Group Question: What is your usual response when God calls us to do something? Faithfulness, fight or flight?
- Group Question: What did God do to help Isaiah, Moses and Jonah to serve? ( Have them look back at the passages )
Step 3: Then as we start to listen and God directs and guides us into service.
- Group Question: How does God usually do this in our lives?
Step 4: Our first steps are usually little steps.
- Group Question: What are these small steps usually? (Prayer, looking up scripture, seeking advice, etc.)
Step 5: Then God uses others to encourage, confirm and direct us.
- Group Question: How has others in the past encouraged, conformed or gave you advice in serving in a particular area?
Step 6: The Holy Spirit then confirms and moves us according to his will.
Step 7. Over time we can look back and see His footsteps in our lives, like footsteps in the sand.
- Group Question: Why does God use us when so many people are more gifted and qualified?
- It removes boasting from our lives.
- It is a example to others.
- God surprises us and the world, by choosing the lowly things.
Scripture: read 1 Corinthians 1:27-29, “But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him.”
- Question: Do you have any final thought on serving or ministry in general?