Why should Christians consider Heaven?
- Often times we focus on our lives here and we forget about our eternal inheritances. We get comfortable here because it seems like real life and Heaven seems foreign or something on some spiritual realm.
- Heaven seems to be the forgotten subject and many people think the scriptures are silent on this subject. Actually there are many, many verses sprinkled out the Old and New Testament to get our minds and thoughts engaged on eternal things.
Do you think the Devil is actively trying today to keep our eyes off Heaven?
Consider Revelation 13:6, “He opened its mouth to blaspheme God, and to slander his name and his dwelling place and those who live in heaven.”
- Blaspheme God.
- Slander his name.
- Slander his dwelling place.
- Slander those who live in heaven.
Questions: Has Satan been effective in slandering God’s dwelling place, Heaven?
- Consider some common views of heaven?
- Heaven is a Spiritual / non material or physical realm.
- Heaven is boring.
- Life on heaven is flouting on clouds, playing harps.
- Heaven is a endless church service.
No wonder why Heaven seems to be the forgotten subject. Their nothing mentioned above that would get our hearts excited.
What are some common ways Heaven is Slandered?
- TV Shows & Movies
- Jokes, comics
- Lack of teaching
- keeping our eyes on the temporal
What are some common fears that arise about Heaven?
- We feel guilty thinking about heaven, because we are not excited about it.
- We are afraid that they will get bored of worship and even heaven itself.
- We say, “What am I going to do for millions and millions of years?
- We are afraid that God may get sick of us.
- We are afraid it will be a never ending church service.
Can we know about heaven?
- 1 Corinthians 2:8-10 “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” the things God has prepared for those who love him.”
- Deuteronomy 29:29, “The secret things belong to the LORD our God.”
Reading in Context:
- 1 Corinthians 2:8-10 “no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” the things God has prepared for those who love him. These are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God”
- Deuteronomy 29:29, The secret things belong to the LORD our God. But the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.”
How can we learn about Heaven?
We are called to set our sights on heavenly things
- Colossians 3:1-4, “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- How can we be obedient to this command, what are some ways we can learn about heaven?
- Read the Bible, bible studies, sermons, discussions, books (Heaven by Randy Alcorn), ask God to reveal it and open up our minds.
- Using our imagination:
- 2 Timothy 2:7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
- Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
- Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
What does the Bible say about heaven?
- The Bible gives us many clues and even whole chapters are given in great detail about heaven in the Old and New Testament.
- Heaven is real and tangible place. In scripture it describes it in a way that we can grab a hold of it and picture it. It is described in detail, from the river of life that flows from the Thrown of God, to the animals that live in peace with each other, to the peoples and nations that enter in and gather for worship.
- Genesis gives a detailed account of this present creation. We can read and understand Genesis . The scriptures gives us details also of our eternal home, so we also can read and understand heaven.
- Just as we have a better view of Genesis by living in this creation, so we will have a better view of Heaven once we are their.
- So also, I believe God has given us enough details about the New Heaven and New Earth to get our mouths to water, to spark our imagination then we can follow his commands and sincerely fix our eyes on things above.
- I believe that heaven will be so great and glorious that our minds cannot contain all the blessings and riches that are and will be there. But, I also believe God has given us enough in scriptures so that we can set our hearts and minds of the heavenly kingdom.
A New Heaven and a New Earth?
- Old Testament: In Isaiah 65:17 it says, “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.
- New Testament: In 2 Peter 3:12-13 it says, “As you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”
- Other references: 2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1